The official blog of Stephen Houltham

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Movie Reviews: Julie & Julia

Hi all. As some of you know, maybe from reading last week's blog, ( If you haven't read last week's blog just scroll to the next one, it'll explain what i'm doing with this blog) one of my pastimes is to watch movies and then write a review about it. This week's review is about a cooking orienated dual biography: Julie and Julia.

Before I get into a review of this movie, i must explain how I do reviews because my reviews are not your typical run of the mill reviews. I like to think i do things a bit differently. While I do some things a bit differently in my reviews, I do the things that you would expect in a review- like actually talk about the movie itself. Okay, the things I do differently are....

Ratings: I don't use the normal 5 star rating. I personally think it dosen't give you a clear indication of what I think about the movie at a quick glance. I use a 7 star rating. I do this to get a distinction between good and legendary on one end of the scale and Poor and Average and the other end of the scale. So my scale goes like this; 1: Don't Ever Watch it/Bad 2: Poor 3: Only a few wierd people would like this/ Ok 4: Average/ Run of the Mill 5: Good 6: Excellent 7: A future classic-legendary.

The other thing i like to add which is not that common in reviews is a suitable auidence, i'm not talking what the movie is rated, but who would most enjoy the movie.

Ok to the movie review itself:

Julie and Julia.

Plot: Like I said previously, Julie and Julia is a dual-biography movie, about the lives of two women- Julia Child- the famous and one of the first celebrity chefs and trials and tribulations she goes through in getting her first french cooking book written and Julie Powell- who wrote a blog about making her way through Julia Child famous 1st recipe book and the trials and tribulations of achieving that goal.

While saying ' trials and tribulations' makes this movie sound like a boring biography angst driven movie, both biographies are done with such humour that makes your sides hurt as though you've run a marathon, so in fact this movie is actually- comedy/ drama. A dramedy if you like.

Normally, a movie would have a dull point in which they would need to have a montage or something of the like to move time along, however with Julie and Julia there is no dull spots, by the end of the movie, one is devouring the what the real person has done/is doing now information.

Ratings: Julie and Julia is 6. Excellent, but I don't think it would get an academy award, maybe a Bafta- the brits understand comedy a bit better.

Appropriate Auidence: While Julie and Julia is centred around cooking and the trials of cooking, it dosen't just cater to just the foodies. Julie and Julia does an extremely of making the movie enjoyable for everybody- when something was funny- the whole movie theatre was cracking up. With this in mind- an appopriate auidence for Julie and Julia would be for everybody, although kids may not find it neccessairly too entertaining- so for an adult family.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Alright, I'll add it to my list of movies to watch. Good stuff with the blog, btw, I need to update mine now... :S

Stephen Houltham said...

Thanks, great to know my review has made an impact, even if it is one of my best friends.